OUR MISSION AND VALUES
Turtle Bay Music School strives to spread the transformative power of music by providing the highest quality music education and experiences to all in the community who seek them.
- Offering superior music instruction, spanning all genres, in more than 20 instruments and voice, reaching 10,000 New Yorkers each year
- Extending financial aid to every student in need
- Providing high-quality, comprehensive music programs and financial support to 10 New York City public schools
- Inviting the community to attend 50 free performances at TBMS annually
- Sharing 20 faculty and student service performances at local hospitals, senior centers, and other community venues
- Everyone is welcome to share our passion for music, regardless of age, ability, or economic status
- Music education should be made available to all school-aged children
- Community service is integral to TBMS as a way for the school to share its mission and values with the people of New York
- TBMS is committed to creating a wide range of opportunities for our dedicated and talented faculty to pursue continued excellence as educators and performers
As a National Guild member, Turtle Bay Music School is committed to ensuring all people have opportunities to maximize their creative potential. We encourage you to visit www.nationalguild.org to learn more about community arts education around the country.
WHY STUDY AT TBMS?
TBMS is a space to play.
At TBMS, we believe music is an integral part of daily life. We offer classes for all ages and skill levels, and our community is inclusive, fun, and focused on meeting each student’s individual needs. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a strong financial aid program, free public concerts, and community programs in public schools and senior centers, TBMS works to increase access to music education, appreciation, and performance.
Our philosophy is grounded in flexibility and attention to the individual. That means meeting the needs of each student, from scheduling and class placement to coaching and evaluation. We also offer monthly performance opportunities open to all students, plus master classes, concerts by guest artists, summer camps, and more.
For us, cultivating a nurturing, vibrant community is what music is all about: connection, support, and inspiration. We strive to stand out and make a difference. But don’t just take it from us – check out a sampling of recent testimonials below. We hope you’ll consider joining our family of music lovers!
"As a parent whose work schedule varies, I considered myself a true scheduling challenge for music lessons. [The registration team] at TBMS proved to be more than up to the challenge and never gave up until [they were] able to arrange classes with a wonderful teacher at a time that normally fits my schedule… I could not have asked for more… Starting an instrument as an adult can be difficult, but the joy of making music is worth it."Colleen Gowans TBMS Parent
"A music teacher is to a music student what a coach is to an athlete–yes, you can get by without one, but you’ll never play at your best… My teacher, Isabel Fairbanks, is just fantastic… When I look back on where I started and where I am now, I can hardly believe it. I’m playing music I thought would never be within my reach. But here I am, playing a Brahms sonata! Thank you Isabel! Thank you, TBMS!"Eduardo Tenenbaum TMBS Student