To apply for any of our current job opportunities, please e-mail the requested documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title written in the subject line. TBMS must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy. Qualified candidates only please. No calls. No agencies. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Turtle Bay Music School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Director of Development and Marketing
Turtle Bay Music School, New York, NY
STATUS: Full-Time Salaried
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental and Vision, generous vacation time
HOURS: 40 hours per week, including some evenings and/or weekends
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
START DATE: January 2019
About Turtle Bay Music School
Founded in 1925, Turtle Bay Music School (TBMS) is one of the oldest community music schools in the United States, and is a proud founding member of the National Guild of Community Arts Education. Turtle Bay Music School strives to spread the transformative power of music by providing the highest quality music education and experiences to all in the community who seek them. Reaching more than 5,000 New Yorkers each year, TBMS believes:
- Everyone is welcome to share our passion for music, regardless of age, ability or economic status.
- Music education should be made available to all school-aged children.
- Community service is integral to TBMS as a way for the School to share its mission and values with the people of New York.
- TBMS is committed to creating a wide range of opportunities for our dedicated and talented faculty to pursue continued excellence as educators and performers.
TBMS finds itself at an exciting inflection point having just relocating to a new, fully accessible location in Mid-Town Manhattan after 85 years in its previous location. This relocation allows TBMS to expand and strengthen its tuition bearing programs as well as grow and deepen its impact through outreach and community based programs in senior centers, public schools and through the tuition-free Saturday Music Project. TBMS is a 93 year old start-up with a great story to tell and a new chapter full of possibilities ahead of us. The Director of Development and Marketing will be pivotal in the writing of that chapter and therefore the position is an ideal opportunity for someone with a creative and entrepreneurial spirit.
Scope of the Position
The Director of Development and Marketing (DODM) is a diplomatic leader responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding grants and contributions, and for maintaining the integrity of the TBMS brand. The DODM exemplifies the TBMS mission and values through work that is conducted ethically and honors donor intent. They build relationships with the Board of Trustees, school’s community, private and public funders, stakeholders, neighbors, and organizations to create opportunities for the school that will further its mission and work. As a member of the senior leadership team, The DODM participates in institutional planning and contributes to strategic direction.
The DODM reports to the Executive Director and supervises a Development and Marketing team (2 FTE)
- Direct all aspects of TBMS’s fundraising program and secure gifts across all revenue streams, in collaboration with the Executive Director and the Board of Trustees
- Oversee grant seeking from institutional donors, including the timely submission of new and renewed proposals, reports, and supplemental materials; research for new prospects; and maintaining communication with new prospects and current donors. Work closely with Community Programs team for information gathering
- Identify and cultivate potential new donors and facilitate moves management
- Manage TBMS’s Annual Benefit, Charity Golf Invitational, Perform-A-Thon, and other development-related events
- Develop and oversee the strategic plan, timetable, and activities for a capital campaign around TBMS’s centennial in 2025
Marketing and Communications:
- Contribute to global conversations about the identity of the organization and its vision
- Create and implement the annual marketing and communications plan that will enhance TBMS’s visibility and drive enrollment and donations
- Oversee the creation and management of TBMS’s emails, social media, website, and print materials
Qualifications and Desired Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- A minimum of 5 years of development/fundraising experience in a non-profit setting
- Proven track record of finding and sustaining new donors
- Comprehensive grant writing, budgeting and prospect research experience
- Superior verbal and written communications skills and a talent for story telling
- A commitment to confidentiality and ethical behavior
- Ability to collaborate across departments
- Exceptional organizational skills with a high attention to detail; proven ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines in a busy environment
- Capital Campaign experience preferable
- A background in music education and/or a love of music is desirable
- A sense of humor
Please send letter of interest, resume, writing sample, and salary requirements to: email@example.com Attention: Director of Development and Marketing search. No calls, please.
Turtle Bay Music School is an equal opportunity employer.
Volunteers are always welcome! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about volunteer opportunities. Thank you for your interest in Turtle Bay Music School.