Contemporary Drums Teacher
Contemporary Music Studies (Hip Hop, Pop, Rock, Jazz, R&B, Gospel, etc.)
Turtle Bay Music School, New York, NY
Status: Hourly beginning in March 2019
Reports to: Student Services Manager
Hours: TBD (generally weekday evenings and Saturdays, other times available year-round)
Compensation:$47 for 45-minute group class, $40/hour private lesson rate. Additional
opportunities are available for compensated performances and meetings, free practice room
and studio rental as available.
Location : Turtle Bay Music School (TBMS), 330A East 38th St.
Open Date: February 1, 2019
Start Date: Variable
About Turtle Bay Music School
Founded in 1925, Turtle Bay Music School (TBMS) is one of the oldest community music schools in the United States serving over 4,000 students a year throughout New York City. As a proud founding member of the National Guild of Community Arts Education, Turtle Bay Music School strives to spread the transformative power of music by providing the highest quality music education and experiences to all in the community who seek them.
TBMS firmly believes:
- Everyone is welcome to share our passion for music, regardless of age, ability or economic status.
- Music education should be made available to all school-aged children.
- Community Service is integral to TBMS as a way for the School to share its mission and values with the people of New York.
- TBMS is committed to creating a wide range of opportunities for our dedicated and talented faculty to pursue continued excellence as educators and performers.
Scope of the Position
Turtle Bay Music School, serving over 4,000 students throughout New York City, is currently seeking a dynamic Contemporary Drums Instructor to join our growing Contemporary Music Studies Faculty. Teaching is available at our Main Campus (330A East 38th St.) during after-school hours, with daytime, evening, and off-site opportunities often arising.
The Contemporary Drums Instructor at Turtle Bay Music School is a creative, knowledgeable, perceptive, energetic, and warm- hearted teacher - genuinely interested in the unique experience, voice, contribution, and development of each and every student. Building on a strong foundation of fundamental drumming and percussion techniques and best practices, the candidate is adept at negotiating, referencing, and resourcing current and past landscapes of contemporary musical content and stylings as it pertains to the creative field of acoustic and electronic drumming. This knowledge includes improvisation, building a drum part, and collaboration, in order to inform and tailor each student’s drum studies to their unique needs and spirit. With a thriving performance culture at Turtle Bay Music School, the candidate also has a basic knowledge and working experience of live-sound production for drums and percussion, being able to convey an informed professional performance perspective to their students in an approachable, accessible, and fun way.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience and credentials:
- Significant experience working with students ages 6 and up, teaching both private lessons and group classes.
- BM required, MM preferred, in Drumming and/or Percusssion, Drumming/Percussion Pedagogy, Contemporary Music Studies, and/or Music Education
- A sense of fun and humor, and a passion for the work of Turtle Bay Music School.
- Flexible; adept at adapting to changing priorities and multi-tasking as conditions require.
- High energy, enthusiasm, and a can-do attitude.
TBMS faculty members are asked to provide well-rounded quality musical instruction to students by:
Encouraging creativity, consistency in attendance, practice, progress and performance.
Tailoring to the individual needs, abilities and goals of each student while teaching fundamental musical skills.
Inspiring students through your passion, talents and love for teaching which in turn will foster musical and personal growth.
We ask that TBMS faculty members:
▪ Understand TBMS’s Mission and Policies and openly communicate questions to staff members.
▪ Engage themselves and students in TBMS’s musical community to actively support its mission of access, inclusion, and excellence.
▪ Maintain open and frequent communication with parents and students in order to support their educational progress, maintain studio enrollment, and ensure that each student has an exceptional experience at TBMS.
▪ Have knowledge of related TBMS programs and make recommendations that will stimulate and expand a student’s artistic education.
▪ Maintain a schedule conducive to upholding a weekly teaching commitment throughout the school year.
Requirements: A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years of teaching experience is required.
TBMS finds itself at an exciting point in its history having relocated to a new, larger, and fully accessible location in Mid-Town Manhattan after 85 years in its historic previous location. This relocation allows TBMS to expand and strengthen its tuition bearing programs as well as grow and deepen its impact through outreach and community based programming in senior centers, public schools, and through the tuition-free Saturday Music Project.
Applicants should e-mail a cover letter and teaching resume to email@example.com. Please include Contemporary Drums Instructor in the subject line of your email. Only those being considered will be contacted for an interview and teaching audition. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Turtle Bay Music School is an equal opportunity employer.