About: Charles Jones
Instrument you teach: Piano
Do you play any other instrument in your spare time? Actually, long ago, I performed on both the organ and harpsichord. I now practice the piano exclusively.
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
The Juilliard School
Where are you from? Roanoke, Virginia
Favorite age group to teach: All ages and levels
Favorite style of music to teach: Classical
Favorite song: The songs of Schumann and Fauré
Favorite piece of music: The Tchaikovsky Fourth Symphony
Favorite food: Seafood
Favorite color: Blue
What’s your favorite musical memory? First time hearing the Prokofiev’s “Suggestion diabolique”
What do you like best about teaching music? It is all around enriching.
Who is your favorite composer or musician? Chopin was once, but there is such individuality among composers that makes it hard to say now.
What was the first piece of music you ever learned? Sandman’s Lullaby
How many hours a day do you practice? 3-5, depending on what’s going on.
How long have you been at TBMS? Since 2014
Feel free to list any competitions, musical accomplishments, roles, performances of note, etc.
• Recipient, Professional Fellowship, Rome Festival, Rome, Italy
• Recipient, Early Decision Award, Rome Festival, Rome, Italy
• Recipient, Lila Wallace Fellowship
• Scholarship Recipient, The Juilliard School
• Winner, North Carolina School of the Arts Bartók Auditions
• Winner, Charleston Symphony Orchestra Young Artists Competition
Fun Facts: I enjoy swimming and cycling.